The Building’s History
The former Ogden’s office building on Boundary Lane dates from between 1899 and 1901 and is believed to have been designed by the company architect, Henry Hartley. It includes a clock tower with spire that acts as a landmark within the local community. The office building was designated as a Grade II Listing in 2007 due to it being “An impressive example of late 19th Century eclectic Queen Anne style” (Historic England). The office building itself is two stories and is constructed from pressed red brick with sandstone dressings. It features a central section with clock tower, side wings, hipped roofs, moulded eaves cornice.
The factory, owned by Ogden Ltd, opened in 1899. Ogden’s was the first company in the world to introduce the idea of collectable illustrated cigarette cards, and also helped to found the National Association of Tobacco Manufacturers in 1898. In 1901 James B Duke, head of the American Tobacco Company acquired Ogden’s and extended the office block by adding an additional storey to the side wings. For just over a year Ogden’s became the pivotal firm in the American Tobacco Company’s attempts to break into and dominate the English tobacco industry. In 1902 Ogden Ltd. was sold to Imperial Tobacco and became one of their branches. Imperial Tobacco is now the world’s fourth largest international tobacco company. However, following changes in the market and production costs it was announced in July 2006 that the Liverpool site would cease production and close. The factory finally closed in March 2007.
In September 2017, Aura were awarded the Brick and stonework package by HMS Ltd, who converted the building into 19 apartments. Our works started in October 2017 and included stone and brick repairs and the replacement of the existing façade; In addition, we had to take down and rebuild the parapet walls, incorporating new stone cornices and copings to match originals profiles. We also had to rake-out the old pointing and re-point many of the sections of brickwork.
Previous repairs and rendering of the side and rear elevations led to uneven surfaces on removal of the render. Aura created new openings and built new brick facades, incorporating stainless steel frame cramps as per the Architect’s specification. New brick was used for this section of works.
Aura Conservation worked successfully with other trades and the developer to create new homes to breathe new life into a historic building that could otherwise have been left to stand empty.
The services we provide for you at aura conservation
Stone, Brick, Cast Stone, Terracotta, Sculpture, Statuary, Bronze Statuary.
Roof Tiling, Steeplejacks and Lightning Protection, Roof Drainage, Lead Protection, Roof Features.
Painting & Decorating, Plasterwork, Tiling, Timber Flooring.
Services & Treatment
Protection and Remedial Treatment, Paint Finishes, Mortars & Renders, Pointing, Paint Removal, Masonry Cleaning, Structural Repairs, Epoxy Resin Repairs.
Metal, Wood & Glass
Fine Joinery, Wood Carving, Windows and Doors, Secondary Glazing, Metalwork.
You can contact us at:
Dunham House, 181 Wellington Road North, Stockport, Cheshire, SK4 2PB.
Tel: 0161 442 9850 / Fax: 0161 432 8478