Grade 1 Listed, Crewe Hall is a Jacobean mansion located near Crewe Green in Cheshire, described as one of the finest Jacobean houses in Cheshire. Built between 1615 and 1636 for Sir Randolph Crewe, it was one of the county’s largest houses in the 17th century. The hall was extended in the late 18th century and altered by Edward Blore in the early Victorian era. It was extensively restored by E. M. Barry after a fire in 1866, and is considered among his best works.
Constructed in red brick with stone dressings and a lead and slate roof, the hall was in need of much repair, suffering from loss of detail to stone work, open mortar joints, algae growth, surface cracking with loose and friable stonework, spalling brickwork and the failure of previous repairs. The main restoration works were to the front (South) elevation which was the most effected.
Aura secured the contract after compiling an extensive condition survey at the request of Q Hotels, to carry out a complete restoration programme to the front and side elevations, roof repairs, perimeter paving, boundary walls and complete replacement of front entrance steps in Kemple End sandstone supplied by M & G Stone.
The specialist works involved DOFF cleaning to all elevations, cutting out and replacing defective feature stone blocks, de-scaling of loose and friable masonry, removal of ferrous fixings and replacing with stainless steel, rake out and re-pointing of brickwork and lime repair mortar to areas of damaged stone. A number of friezes were reinstated where loss of detail had occurred and repairs to the roof and replacement of rainwater goods were also carried out.
A building of this outstanding architectural interest should be preserved for years to come and Aura are proud to have been involved in this project, securing a future for the Jacobean grandeur that is Crewe Hall for the next generation to enjoy.